Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Food Fortunes

This week we talked about how each character in The Poisonwood Bible has a different approach to food. We discovered that you can learn a lot about their goals and mindsets by looking at what they eat, and in turn, relate this to the world as a whole. I began to wonder what our food today might say about us...

French Fries:
Now there's a mystery food! An important staple for many people in the world - turned super-fat commercialized side dish. I do believe they are an American creation, though we graciously allowed the French to take the credit (or the blame).

Lunchables:
Because every young child should learn how to work and provide for themselves. True satisfaction comes from the work of our own hands. Give me thinly sliced, nicely arranged parcels of cheese, turkey, and crackers, and you bet I can make a sandwich!

Apple Pie:
Those sweet, juicy, beautiful works of nature - dangling so delightfully just above our reach. Just let me get my hands on one! I'll drown it in sugar and surround it with butter - you'll hardly be able to recognize it. Show that apple who's boss!

Hot dogs:
No dogs harmed in the making of this product. Well phew, as long as it wasn't a dog, guess I don't care what else went in there!

Salads:
Of course we eat healthy too. Tons of that nice, crunchy lettuce - not too green though. Oh, and pass the Hidden Valley Ranch, it's not swimming yet!

Sweet tea:
We believe in natural herbs and remedies as long as you add enough sugar.

And it's not just the foods themselves:

Multicultural food experiences:
We've got it from just about anywhere around the globe. Sure we'd love to try a taste of your culture! Just please, no trans fat, little less spice, no unrecognizable animal parts, and here: how bout some butter and a new name!

Food sayings:
Finish your plate! There are starving children in China!
Because the poor really do appreciate us being willing to make ourselves fat on their behalf.

Food packaging:
Put an extra layer of cellophane on it. That will keep it from bruising as long as you are careful. And more importantly, if you say anything mean, it won't be able to hear you and have its feelings hurt.

Organic food:
If you'll pay me an extra buck, of course it is!

Food brands:
Says something about fresh farms? Ocean Spray? Glacier mountain? Keebler elves?
Must be good!

Yes, I know food can say good things too, but I do enjoy making fun! Feel free to add your own interpretations!

5 comments:

  1. I found this post very interesting; I have never looked at foods in this manner before. It made me ponder aboout the foods that I eat and what they could possibly mean!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! This post made me laugh out loud several times! It is interesting how our culture looks at food!
    -Erica W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never thought food had a great significance to the meaning of a certain aspect of a novel or even the novel as a whole. This post is interesting :)
    -angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post, it was very witty and kept my attention. I too have noticed the stupid things that companies will do to try and sell their brands. And the bad part is, consumers will fall for it! Like when foods say they are made with all natural Sunflower oil; Oh, I didn't know sunflowers produced oil? So, there was no process in which it was broken down and chemicals added? Oh well, as long as someone is getting what they want, it shouldn't matter.

    Respect
    CamT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post had me thinking a lot about how food can define a person. What you eat is what you are, fits perfectly with this and yes I can see how you made connections with each food! Really enjoyed the post!
    -Tamera

    ReplyDelete