Thursday, May 12, 2011

Edward Scissor hands

I watched this movie several years back and never really understood the meaning behind the characters. I just thought it was so interesting to see a man in a movie with scissors for hands. Mrs. Elliot and almost all other teachers have said that literature changes to you as you grow and mature. I didn't really get what they meant until I watched this movie yesterday and the day before. I finally understand the meaning and literary archetypes, with help of Mrs. Elliot's class, and realize that as my knowledge expands in literature it's so much easier to connect ideas together and make an individual opinion on what the literature in front of me is all about. The character in the movie reminded me of Frankenstein, and it really helped me get where the author is going with the movie.

3 comments:

  1. The movie was definitely reminiscent of Frankenstein. Also, I think they both share a powerful theme: social exclusion. In both works we see the isolations of individuals due to what the majority deems as “monstrous.” This theme goes to show how sometimes people are scare of alien ideas, people, or thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always watched this movie was when I was little but now that I have a Mrs. Elliott English education, I had a much more academic appreciation for the movie and got a lot more out of it. I noticed many of the archetypes such as Edward's loss of innocence and his forbidden romance with Kim, and the villain of Jim. Like you, I also saw many similarities between the movie and Frankenstein because of his status as a manmade creature that experiences alienation, and I have always found the idea of being alienated for aspects of a person out of their control interesting.
    ~Bobby R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on this one. The little details pop out at you more after learning these things. I also liked how the movie made fun of the suburban society and showed its downfalls.
    Andrew V

    ReplyDelete