I ususally brush polytheism off when i think about types of religions because I don't really see how people can believe in so many Gods. It was a very common belief in the Iron Age and Bronze Age, but then it began to gradually disappear when people started becoming monotheistic. The Ancient Greece were very big on this type of belief and believed that every single life form and natural existence had a God from it. Even though I don't believe in multiple Gods I still get intrigued with their powers and how the people portray them with their myths and legends. The people gave the Gods human like qualities and seemed to have plenty of drama in it. That must be why there are so many movies on polytheistic beliefs and how their Gods played big roles in their lives.
-Joey Mesa (The A team)
With the many gods that have been classified, I believe that overall, they represented in their time the single body that created this enitre world. Just imagining that the Greeks believing in multiple gods, I understand why they would do this. In order to explain how the world functions, they assigned every activity to a different god because just like us, they sought an explanation to the daily activities that surround us.
ReplyDelete-Cynthia Navarro
Hi Joey,
ReplyDeleteWhat I think is so interesting with the Greek polytheism is that the immortal beings had the same flaws as the humans, often more exaggerated. I find it interesting that a culture would fear and worship beings that were as awful as themselves. But then, it probably appealed to their desire to pursue their own pleasure. If the gods do it, why shouldn't I? Believeing in a God who is perfect puts a larger burden of responsibility on the believer.
Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology are so interesting due to the idea that the gods possess the same flaws as humans, like Stephanie said. Where as in Christianity and other monotheistic religions, God is perfect. It challenges his followers to do good throughout their lives so in the end, they get the ticket to heaven.
ReplyDelete-Kaylynn
Good post cousin!
ReplyDeletethis doesnt make you sound gay or anything aha jk ;)
but Im also curious about other religions and beliefs in multiple Gods.
We were raised to believe in one God and one God only, so we never understood how multiple Gods can even come up as a belief.
Do you boo boo :)
-Anthony Flores
It is interesting to compare the polytheistic beliefs of ancient Greeks with monotheistic beliefs of Christians. The flaws possessed by the Greek gods and the mistakes they made showed the people of Greece how not to act in certain situations and what qualities were unhealthy to possess. On the other hand, God is perfect and Christians are supposed to look to Him for guidance and try to mold their lives around His word. The Greeks and Christians take completely opposite approaches.
ReplyDeleteDane Johnson