Experience describes a direct observation or participation in events as a basis of knowledge. The fact or stat of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation only becomes a part of my definition of experience. The reality that I will only learn after I burn my hand that the blue gas heats pans too quickly; that if I stare at the sun for a long time I can later no longer stare at any bright light without sunglasses on; that if I leave my nail polish on for more than two weeks, my nails may turn yellow; haunts my mind with fear of making mistakes and how these mistakes will affect my life. Will the yellow hue on my nails mean my nails will eventually break off? will the burn on my finger produce an indelible scar and reminder of my thoughtlessness? Will wearing sunglasses for a grand majority of the time become a nuisance?
Fear often times crept my mind. Afraid of making mistakes and frustration at always trying to be the ideal person that held no regrets. However, my artwork portrays exactly the opposite. Rare, and like Invisible Man, it has no name. There is no title to my painting, no author; however I claim this as my very own interpretation of what experience represents. There's a tree. And with its roots extending to the center of the inside of the light bulb, the roots suddenly become too much. There's branches. The branches become countless and put a battle against the glass of the light bulb. There is no winner, though from my point of view, the tree is close to winning. Inside the light bulb the tree is confined. However though the tree is trapped inside the light bulb, the tree seems to be suffocating the light bulb. The tree suddenly becomes the wisdom I will gain through many experiences. Fear intimidates me, and like the bulb seems to be suffocating the tree, in fact, I may be eating fear alive. The fear suddenly becomes my companion, serving as motivation and the obstacle that I may suffocate and overcome.
-Elizabeth Amaya
Did I vary my sentence structure?

Hey liz :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post. i loved how you changed your sentence structure throughout the post and how you tied all your ideas in the end with the picture you chose as well as the meaning behind it. I think that the sentence structures you used are examples and illustrations, definition and also cause and effect. i really enjoyed reading your post. Nice job
-Heidy G
Wow Elizabeth,
ReplyDeletethis was really deep. I had to re-read this twice just to absorb what you were saying. What stood out to me for your sentence structure is that you used spatial order. :D
It's funny how the simplest or smallest things play a big factor in our lives.
Boa K.
Compelling, profound, captivating, amazing. I know that this was to show sentence structure and what not, but the content captured my attention with how true you are with your fears that it makes me reevaluate my fears and myself.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written.
-Amy L
Wow Elizabeth, your interpretation of the artwork is very profound. Although I am definitely not an authority on sentence structure, even I can tell that you have a lot of variation here. What I like most about this post is your comparison between the tree and experience. It makes sense because trees are often artistic symbols of growth and change, which are common themes in the idea of experience. I also think it is appropriate that the tree is portrayed with a lightbulb which is the universal symbol for thought, as thought is also comparable to experience. However, I am curious as to why you see the lightbulb as a constrictor of the tree.
ReplyDelete