Monday, February 28, 2011

Poem/word pattern

I am a teenager. No, I am not a bro like those who partied on Skins; nor am I one of your family channel products. I am a teenager of life, of activity and of emotion. I think I have a mind. I am adolescent, understand, because people refuse to see me as grown. Like the young college fratboy it is as though i have been surrounded by waisted youth. When they approach me they see only my youth, my flaws or anything else to look down upon me - indeed everything and anything except me.
-kevin

18 comments:

  1. Your poem made me laugh a bit in the beginning, though it started to get more serious as i read on, but overall it came out great. I like the way you switched the actual poems wording with your terms, it seems like the original.
    -Danny D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked this poem because i feel like many can relate to it. no one wants to be stereotyped as a typical teenager because indeed we are all different. to be an adolescent means to be a developing and growing person and for everyone to still view us just as young individuals would be wrong. great insite.
    ~Jessica D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your poem. As Danny said above, it is funny in the beginning and becomes more deep and serious as your progress. To be honest I re-wrote this poem as well and my peom does not even sound nearly as good as yours, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on this, Kevin. Teenagers often feel the pressure of stereotyping and Ellison's structure allows you to address that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, a very interesting view from a different perspective of a teenager. Being a teenager has many different perspective, doesn't it? For instance, I never feel this way nor do I perceive others viewing me this way. At least I got to know another perspective of being a teenager.

    --Alex C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! haha I like your insight into this and how society looks down on adolescnets and thinks of us as being wrong. I think alot of teens would/should agree with this.
    -Hali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Many of us have experienced these emotions at one time or another throughout our high school careers. People are often quick to judge us. However, just because some high school students may behave and act one way does not necessarily mean that we are all that way.

    -Erica W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, I enjoyed the humor you put in your poem, as well as the point you made in it. Many of us teenagers get targeted as our stereotypes and sometimes it's unfair. But I've learn stereotypes come from reality. We can only look at those and avoid from doing the bad. But what can people expect? That's why we're teenagers. We learn and grow. :D

    Boa K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like your post ! teenagers seem to stereotype others and judge quickly. however we are not all like the judgement that is placed on us. i agree wti this.
    -angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading this poem because it is relatable to so many people. Not everyone is going to be defined as a typical teenager and no one person is going to confrom to that stereotype because adolescents are all different from one another.
    Kelli H.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really good! I like how you stated being a teen does not mean your are out raging like the kids on "skins", but living life and learning what life is.
    -Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post! We all have unique styles and manners, but unfortunately they may be stereotyped incorrectly. Our culture generally maintains a negative perspective towards teenagers, even though we all know it is a misconception.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing post! It was humorous to begin with, but quickly took a much more serious route, while still keeping a lighthearted tone. Also, all of us high schoolers can relate to the ideas behind the poem and simultaneously put our own opinions in it.
    Byron C.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i laughed at the beginning of the poem but as i read further into the poem, i realized that none of us what to be labeled as a stereotypical teenager who isnt heard. we all want to be heard and we will eventually after a few years have passed or when adults believe we have matured enough to be considered adults/
    -nikki l.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked the humor you put at the beginning of the poem, (especially for those who are familiar with the show). People always label and see each other as the stereotypical way and its cool to see that you are stepping out of the box and embracing who you truly see yourself as.
    - Amanda c

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a job well done. I think many teenagers can relate to this because there are some of us who feel as if we are looked down upon by others. I personally feel judged by some adults and it makes be feel like i'm a bad kid and like I don't meet the standards.

    -Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. NICE POEM! I realy like ho it's similar to the original in a way that it has a good meaning and a true message for some, but sounds good as well. It's true that most teenagers are still looked down upon, becuase they are judged from te beginning, I can relate to this. No matter what you do, there's always something wrong or missing, but anyway's, GREAT JOB.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed reading ths poem. It was different but I feel like many people can stll relate to it. Teenagers happen to be a group of the most judgemental people but don't necessarily favor the judgement bestowed upon them. Great poem, GOOD JOB!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete