Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What is your biggest accomplishment?

A common prompt for college applications that is seemingly straightforward; however it's incredibly difficult to choose one thing that means the most to you and that you're most proud of. At this time in most of our lives we don't have the ability to reflect upon our decisions with an unbiased disposition which make it hard to choose. If we were choosing this topic in the future, I'm almost certain that I would have no problem choosing. My heart is split into three different things: figure skating, photography, and music. While these are all different, they all mean something to me. I had a hard time choosing which I loved most and which I would be able to write about best, but after some time, I realized that skating for almost ten years means the most to me as far as a biggest accomplishment and that my life would be most significantly impacted if I had never set foot on ice. Maybe if I were reflecting upon this from the future, I would choose photography as the most significant accomplishment, maybe it will turn into a career, but from where I am now, I can't tell. I just know that figure skating means the world to me now, and I am living in the present. 


--Michelle M.

7 comments:

  1. What I could really relate to from this post was the rather complicated task of reflecting back on many times of triumph and self discovery and really targeting that one that had the most significant impact. It raises the question of "What's the greatest highlight of my life that I can be proud of?". And that's a hard question to answer. It was a definitely relatable and personally resnonating blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have just finished all of my college applications, I find myself both relieved and anxious. I look back on all of the time spent filling out the applications and see that the essays were the hardest part for me. How was I to describe my life, and the kind of person that I am in 500-700 words? At first, I did not think it was possible however after many tried attempts, and what felt like thousands of drafts, I was finally able to construct an essay that I feel succeeds in portraying the kind of person that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really profound idea, I never really had thought much about that same prompt until it came up in my own college applications. It truly is tough to think of such a thing on the spot, which may be one of the reasons as to why the colleges choose such a prompt. This post truly did spur a great deal of thought, not to mention is so personally applicable to most of the people who apply to college.

    Scott C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think any kid who has had numerous forms of accomplishment had an insanely hard time with this prompt. Colleges want us to do so many things so that we will be "well rounded". Then again, they want us to pick one event that has impacted us and we can't seem to pick which event. I don't know about you, but the subject I chose came down to how much I could write about it. Every now and then I would question myself and ask whether or not it was a good topic: "Would colleges view me as a more well rounded applicant if I talked about a sport? Would colleges think I did not put any effort into my essay because I wrote about a sport (like many people do)? Well of course I don't want to write about anything academic since I already have a strong background in that..but then again, maybe that's not as cliche as writing about overcoming an issue in sports...". The list of questions goes on and on and eventually we just got to pick a subject that we are happy with, and disregard anything colleges have told us about what they like to see in applicants. After all, if the college does not like you for your passion, why would you want to go there anyways?
    ~ Simon L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was a smart choice to go with what you have been doing for most of your life. We all have multiple things we are good at or that we love, but in order to write about something with your whole heart for it to be turned into a college essay-its important to have alot of experience in that subject. Choosing a topic for college essays was definately tough, but I think you went in the right direction by choosing what you are most comfortable in!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What your heart was sent on is figure skating, and thats what it should be set on. Since figure skating plays such a big role in your life, it should be one of things you are proud of. Although i have been playing basketball only for 2 years, i worked so much to get better, that i am actually almost college level, which i am proud of. And you are right, live in the present, because you dont know whats going to happen in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting; I can definitely identify. I sought out what I was "made" of when I wrote my applications. I wasn't sure what meant more to me: running, photography (as well), or writing. It's interesting to reevaluate the presence of certain passions in life.

    -Emily T

    ReplyDelete