After reading the article "The End of Solitude" it became clear to me how we, people as a society, don't have very much time alone. Between cell phones and the internet we are constantly communicating with other people whether it's work related or not. Our reliance on technology for communication has also reduced how much we speak face-to-face with people. Instead of talking to people in person, we choose to send them a text or give them a call. Our need for convenience is reducing our need for human contact.
The article made me reflect on myself and how much time I spend alone with out communicating with others. I feel like I do spend enough time alone. I am not consumed by constantly texting others or updating my facebook page. I also feel like I don't necessarily work better alone, working with people tends to keep me on task and it allows for discussion where we can see what the other is thinking or even using each other to find a new approach to a different problem. I enjoy the time I have alone and am able to think clearly without distraction. I enjoy human contact. What we as a society are lacking is balance.
Edit:
I began to think about this more and I realized that I do have more solitude in my life than I originally thought. Figure skating is my source of solitude, I'm alone in my head to think about what I'm doing on the ice. Whether I'm thinking about where I should put my weight on my blade or thinking about pulling my arms in tighter when I jump, I'm all alone in my head. I think this is why I love skating so much, it is my escape from the world. I still manage to think about the stupid stuff that I worry about, but when I skate it gives me so much more clarity about things: what I should say or what I shouldn't do, or whatever. I've always said that skating keeps me sane, but now I realize that it's because it allows me to be alone and to worry about nothing except skating, or everything.
-Michelle M.
I agree with what your response to the article. Although I don't completely agree with the article, I don't feel completely against it either. I take a more middle ground position like you do. Just because people communicate more through technology because of technlogoy doesn't mean that relationships with people don't exist.
ReplyDelete-Karissa C.