Sunday, September 12, 2010

Introduction to Writing

I've always believed writing to be about a journey, but there was a point in my life where I was terrified of pressing my pen on the paper, or pressing the keys on the keyboard to write the next letter to a word. It was absolutely horrifying to me not being able to take the next step simply because of fear and intimidation of what They would say. Suddenly, my teachers became my bullies and I was so perplexed and mad that the beauty in writing could be taken away from me that way.
There's always been a clear idea of how to write and what a 'good' paper consisted of ; however, I've never been able to understand the idea that there could be such thing as a formula in constructing a 'good' essay, let alone someone, a stranger, judging what I believed to be valuable and insightful. Truth is, an English Composition class was never a good match for me. Most definitely not the same way milk and cookies taste together.
Fast-forwarding to today however, I find myself feeling like a fish-wet and wrinkly coming from the pool-in the ocean, in Mrs. Elliott's English Literature class because I know that she has allowed me to believe that the way I write, and the way I love writing is not wrong. She opened my eyes to Paul Graham's The Age of the Essay, and I finally find myself so invested in writing again because "if there's one piece of advice I would give about writing essays, it would be: don't do as you're told."



Introduction to Writing

I question the judgment of right and wrong, correct and incorrect;
and they courageously hold it up to the light under the glass of a microscope.

And with expressionless faces, they press their pens across my soul.

I say lose yourself, be courageous to rid the protective shield from your body and mind.
Don't mind the stops, traffic lights, or yellow solid lines along the road;
because the way you spill your trademark on paper is not right or wrong, not correct or incorrect.

I want to reach the sky, hear the earth's beating,
find the end to the rainbow;
and most importantly feel the breeze and winds of my precious freedom against my face.

But all they want to do is put an end to my journey;
discourage the weak and vulnerable person I am inside,
rob me of all that matters to me, including my vulnerability.

They never conclude their never-ending comments of the way I should think and thrive in writing;
And they can't seem to realize that I have already won...
I have already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment